Well, internet is not a need anymore it is a necessity for geeks like me. Living few hours without internet is like “the whole world is falling”. Mobile is the medium which makes sure we are connected always with the internet and yes it is fun!
I have been using internet on mobile from 2004. Remember the great legendary mobile – Nokia 6600 ? Back in hostel days, out of 100 boys only 3 boys had it. It was of 20+ K I guess. Luckily, one of my friend had it. I would sit in night and browse internet on it. The GPRS connection then used to be of 10-20 KB/s speed. I would check my yahoo emails, orkut (which I had registered just few days ago) & batchmate.com. And that hour used to be heaven, internet in my hands. No more dialup modem, no more computer needed for internet. It can be browsed right away on your mobile. I also bought a internet capable mobile by which at least messenger could work and finally bought a proper smart phone once I started working in 2008.
In 2008, I bought the Nokia N82, I was a big fan of this mobile from college when it was released, mainly of the camera it had, but I used it mostly for browsing internet, tweeting and check-ins on foursquare. I could not afford to buy in college as I did not want my hard earned Dad’s money to be spent on mobile. I bought it from my own salary Now, let me explain in details how this mobile was my savior in last 4 years
1. Navigation : I saved thousands of bucks when I had to go odd and unvisited places in Delhi. I used Google Map to track where I am and the shortest walking distance to the same. Instead of paying overcharged autos. Especially in time of Entrance Exams for MBAs.. Auoto-walas cheat a lot and make a hefty money of the poor students, In NCR the trend is more. My Mobile GPS Made sure I reached their in the best cheap way. Once in Varanasi in 2010, I had to guide the driver to Sarnath Temple from Varanasi.
2. Internet in Exams : I would not reveal the name of the exams but I had made quite a use of the internet.. Few answers are meant to be googled. It was the internet on which saved me
3. Tweeting : I have been on twitter from 2008 and I tweet a lot, it is hard to live without tweeting. I have tweet almost 7000 tweets from mobile in past 4 years. From various twitter-meets to live events I would post live pic and tweets.
4. Foursquare Check-ins : I am mayor of over 180+ Venues, Thanks to the internet on mobile right ? I check-in wherever I go. Maybe someday I would be going through the place I have ever been
5. Facebook : So after the dawn of orkut, came the facebook, photos, updates, comments all needs to be track while you are away from PC right ? So the internet on mobile comes to the rescue here as well.
The list is endless, in fact I can’t imagine a life without internet on mobile.
In 2012, I finally bought an “Android”. MY first Android Mobile : HTC EVO 3D. Now Internet on mobile became more smoother and I have more options, thanks to the variety of applications available for the same.
Internet is not only fun it is a necessity. And is best understood by geeks like me, it is hard to imagine a life without internet. With 3G already in action. I am waiting for 4G Speed and unlimited download on 3G as well. Real fun has no limits ! Rite ? So why should 3G ?